> I just caught part of this post, but I would like to add that some smc
> cards use the de4x5.o  module.

According to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/tulip.txt

Hopefully, the de4x5.c driver will support all cards supported
by the tulip.c driver. However, the SMC's 9332dst card and some
cards do not work with the de4x5.c driver. So, if your card is
not a 9332dst, please try the de4x5.c driver first.

--
Regards Richard.