On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Ben Holm wrote:
> I'm looking to get a cheap modem that I can use w/ Linux.  Can anyone make
> any suggestions?  I thought I saw a web page once that listed modems that are
> known to work with Linux, but I can't find it anymore.  Does anyone know where
> that is?

All external modems will work, and they tend to be built better as well. As for
internal modems, my rule of thumb is to get one that says on the box it will
work with something ELSE besides Windows. This will usually be on the bottom
of the box in fine print. My modem listed OS/2, so I snagged it, and I never
had a problem. Another rule of thumb is to never buy a modem in the bottom 50%
of the price range. If modems range from $30 to $80, look at the ones priced
at $55 and above. If you see a *real* salesman, tell them you need a "component"
modem.

--
Arandir...