You need to check your /etc/fstab and see what your seetings are for the
/cdrom. If your your slackware install went anything like mine you have a
line in fstab that reads:

/dev/cdrom    /cdrom       iso9660     auto,ro    0   0

What this means is device /dev/cdrom will be mounted as read only
automatically (at boot time) if there is a data CD in the drive at point
point /cdrom in your file tree.

Ignore the two zeros, thats default and you don't need to touch those. The
iso9660 is the file system type.

If your fstab entry looks like the above, then one of two things may be
happening. 1. There is no CD in the drive at boot time so the CD-ROM is not
mounted, or the "auto" is replaced with "noauto" which means the system
doesn't try to mount the CD-ROM at boot time. In either case you should be
able to mount the CD-ROM manually by making sure a data CD is in the drive
and typing

mount /cdrom

Caveat: you can't mount a music CD, but you don't need to mount to play a
music CD using workbone, etc.

If you don't have an entry in your fstab that looks like the above, you will
either need one, or you can mount manually using

mount /dev/cdrom -t iso9660 /cdrom

Check out "man fstab" and  "man mount"

Good luck