I would suggest you add a line to your /etc/fstab like:
/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   noauto,ro  0 0
he first column addresses the device itself, so you'll probably just copy what
I've written. The second depends upon your mount point: the directory where
you'll find your cdrom (did you say that it was /cdrom?)

Inthe third column, you'll want iso9660, because that is what is necessary for
cdroms; in contrast you'd put "vfat" for a dos partition.

I wrote noauto, so that I could mount and unmount easily myself; that way I can
change cds also. To do this the command would be simply mount (or umount--note
the absence of the letter "n" here) /dev/cdrom.

If on the other hand you'd want to have the kernel mount automatically AFAIK,
you'd leave out noauto and that ought to work (I haven't done that myself.)
"ro" stands for read-only.

The last two columns have zeros: AFAIK the first isn't used, and the second has
to do with which filesystems the kernel will check if there is a problem. Just
put a zero there too.

Use spaces in between the columns (maybe tabs are ok too?) and save it.

If you don't already have some sort of opsys manual like Running Linux,
published by OReilly, beg borrow or steal a copy right away! You'll be glad you
did.

Read all about this topic under "mounting filesystems."

  --
Richard Spencer
IM: FunDiegan

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Ard Righ wrote: (in part)