Well ... from what you report, the message is correct. You don't have
/dev/hdb in fstab; you have /dev/cdrom, which is (I imagine) a symlink to
/dev/hdb ... but that doesn't make it equivalent to /dev/hdb for all purposes.

I'd guess that you are, either as root or as part of the boot process,
mounting your cd as /dev/hdb, then later, as a user, trying to umount it ...
which you don't have permission to do, since the device name you used to
mount it isn't in fstab.

Solutions:

1. Change the line in fstab to read "hdb" instead of "cdrom" in the first field.

2. Chance whatever mounts the cd to use /dev/cdrom instead of /dev/hdb .

At 10:28 PM 9/27/99 +0200, Simon Taplin wrote:
>I'm also having a problem with my cdrom. I'm using Rh60. I can
>mount my cdrom with no problem in KDE/command prompt, the
>problem comes when I try to unmount the cdrom.
>
>I get the message: umount /dev/hdb is not in the fstab.
>
>I see its a slave to the primary hdd.  I have hda1 and hda5 for
>windows partitions and 6,7 for swap and linux.
>
>>From my fstab:
>/dev/cdrom             /mnt/cdom       auto,ro,users   0 0

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]