1. You say "Sending a string directly to /dev/lp0 as root works". I assume
you mean doing something like "cat somefile >/dev/lp0". So the first thing
to check is permissions -- does lp0 have the right settings for use by
non-root users. Do "ls -l /dev/lp0" and make sure it is owner root, group
lp, mode 660 (crw-rw----).

2. What are the entries in /etc/printcap for the three "filters" you have?

3. What is an example of an unsuccessful invocation of lpr from the command
line?

We may need to know more, but I can't say what until I see the printcap entries.

At 07:29 AM 11/9/99 EST, andy bernat wrote:
>Greetings!  I hope someone can help as I'm about to give up on Linux.  I've
>been unable to get anything to print.  I've got SuSE 6.1 and I'm trying to
>print to a laserjet IIp.  Sending a string directly to /dev/lp0 as root works
>fine so I know the hardware is functioning (also Windows has no problem with
>it).  But, when I use lpr, Ghostscript, Wordperfect (for Linux), anything, all
>that happens is the light on the printer goes on and that's it.  Nothing comes
>out.  If I go offline and hit formfeed I sometimes get a line or two,
>sometimes a blank page.  I've tried printing to all three printers aspsfilter
>sets up (ascii, lp, and raw). But, according to lpc status and lpq, Linux
>thinks everything is fine and the file is printing away!  No error messages of
>any sort in the spool log.  Seems to be a filter problem but I've tried
>reinstalling apsfilter and nothing improves.  If it is a filter problem, why
>in world can't whoever writes these apsfilters (I've tried 2) get what must be
>a fairly vanilla setup to run? I've read most of the HOW-TO's on printing and
>O'Reilly's Running Linx but there is nothing there that seems to work.  Any
>ideas?  Do I need to forget Linux and go back to Windows?  A computer without
>a printer is pretty useless.  Thanks in advance.
>...Andy.

>Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com.

Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]