On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 08:45:47AM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> But what are ll these things that are coming up when I use ps ax. Is this everything
>that's
> running and eating up CPU speed???? I have a list of 30 things that show up with
>that command.
> Should I kill any of the other processes? Like:
>
> 312    ?    S    0:00    http
>
> There are 5 lines (312-6) with http. Why does it need 5 of these whatevers.

I normally don''t bet, but I'd wager that those lines actually
read httpd which is apache's code name when in runs.. _you_ probably
don' need those running, but part of a redhat installation is apache..
It's a web server.. Try typing lynx localhost, and you can  connect
to your machine.

They start off by running a number specified in httpd.conf, which is
somewhere on redhat-- Richard? -- it's in /etc/apache on my debian
machines.. The reason for a bunch running is so that if you get a lot
of connections at once, apache isn't totally ambushed...

Oh. the other place I remeber that apache config files used to be in
is /var/lib/apache
also If you have 1-15 minutes to kill (dpending on size of disk
and speed of machine )
find / -name httpd.conf
will tell you where the files are.

Also, if you try to kill them, they will probably create more..
to stop apache you want

apachectl stop

> So you can log into more than 6 vts. I guess that makes sense. I think I read that
>you can have
> a few hundred users on at once. Are these vts treated as separate users? If I sign
>on as root 4
> times. Does Linux see that as four separate users or as root x 4???? Seems like
>users x 4 is
> the only way.

root x4
There's nothing to stop you from having a nearly infinite number of
users logged on at once( except memory and cpu ).

have fun

greg