> > And referring back to your "never reboot" comment. How do I exit a locked up Pico?
>
> In the same way i told you to kill minicom, change consoles like Greg told
> you.
> ps ax | grep pico
> kill 12345 where 12345 is the field shown from ps ax

Ok.... that's one I'm not gonna forget. I like that command. As well as the vt thing.
I think
Bill Gates is gonna be really mad in about 5 years.

But what are ll these things that are coming up when I use ps ax. Is this everything
that's
running and eating up CPU speed???? I have a list of 30 things that show up with that
command.
Should I kill any of the other processes? Like:

312    ?    S    0:00    http

There are 5 lines (312-6) with http. Why does it need 5 of these whatevers.

> > I did a pico /dev/modem and it locked up. I'm in another terminal now (thanks to
>you), but
> > if I keep going I will run out:}
>
> You cant edit a device file there nothing to be edited, if a console
> becomes all mixed up, ie the prompt does not return to the lefthand side,
> then type reset.

Ok thanks. I haven't really run into that yet. But I'll try to remember it.

> You will not run out of consoles.
> If one becomes completly unusable, because you did sommat wrong, simply log
> out and then back in again.

So you can log into more than 6 vts. I guess that makes sense. I think I read that you
can have
a few hundred users on at once. Are these vts treated as separate users? If I sign on
as root 4
times. Does Linux see that as four separate users or as root x 4???? Seems like users
x 4 is
the only way.