On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 08:13:34PM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> > Yes your absolutely correct it can cause conflicts pretty easily.
> > you should only need to check other serial devices however. The Biggest
> > problem that I could think about is if com1 is enabled on the motherboard.
> > (F2 at boot) it is not that linux is not able to handle plug and play
> > (that's what isapnp is for but I'm not real good at it so this is what I'd
> > recommend. try it now and see if you can get any response from AT in minicom
>
> I removed all ISA cards and now I get
>
> [root@LinuxBox /root]# minicom
> Device /dev/ttyS0 is locked.
>
> Obviously I haven't changed the jumpers yet.
>
> Too much typing not enough working :}

 dunno if this helps at this point. Probably from one of the minicom's
you killed, a lockfile is left over. The lock file is just a file called
/var/lock/LCK..ttS0 it should contain a number and a name, probably some
random number and minicom. If you rm the file(as root) minicom should
start up without complaint.

hope this helps

greg
--