Gurus:

I understand that digital LCD displays which do not convert the signal from
digital-to-analog and back again, boast noticably better graphics than the
analog LCD displays.

I'd like to buy a digital LCD monitor which uses the OpenLDI interface (the
Silicon Graphics 1600SW.) As far as I can tell, the Number Nine Revolution
IV-FP graphics card supports it.

I'm running Linux, kernel 2.2.5 and RedHat 6.0, and I'd like to find out if
this Number Nine card is supported by the current release of XFree86. If not,
I'd like to know if there is a way I can get it to work.

For example, has S.u.S.E built any X-servers which will support the
Revolution IV-FP? Does Xi Graphics or Metro Link offer a commercial
X-server that will work? Will any other graphics cards support the monitor?

If this approach seems impossible, I'd still like to get a digital LCD
monitor. Could someone please tell me what I'd need? It can't be that
difficult--I currently view an LCD panel on my laptop, and it was _easy_ to
set up with a standard server.

I haven't yet put together the box I'll be using with this monitor. But
it'll likely be an Intel box: 440BX mainboard w/AGP, P3-650Mhz cpu, and 256
SDRAM.

I suppose the tough part would be finding an appropriate graphics card, like
the ATI Xpert LCD. Besides the Revolution IV-FP, it's the only card I've read
that will support a digital display. I heard ATI will support Linux, so
maybe I'll be able to use the Xpert LCD card, but how can I find out which
monitors this card will support?

I posted a similar question earlier, and someone with an analog monitor
responded. That's O.K. but I am primarily interested in finding out about
digital LCD displays. Any further information is greatly appreciated!
--
Richard Spencer