* V Vasant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>       I want this because there has been an increase in the number of
> hackings with systems here.Root passwords are changed and administrators
> are put in a piquant situation .So having another secret user will help me

Perhaps having your administrator set up the sudo package for you
would do the job.

,----[ from sudo man page ]
| sudo allows a permitted user to execute a command as the
| superuser (real and effective uid and gid are set to 0 and
| root's group as set in the passwd file respectively).
|
| sudo determines who is an authorized user by consulting
| the file /etc/sudoers.  By giving sudo the -v flag a user
| can update the time stamp without running a command.  The
| password prompt itself will also time out if the user's
| password is not entered with N minutes (again, this is
| defined at installation time and defaults to 5 minutes).
|
| If an unauthorized user executes sudo, mail will be sent
| from the user to the local authorities (defined at
| installation time).
`----

There are other ways of giving a user root permissions, but I don't
want to be the one to give you bad habits. :-)

> Also ,how do I set a password to impede the entry of somebody by using
> "linux single" ?

All you need to do is add a couple of lines to /etc/lilo.conf

man 5 lilo.conf (search for "password" & "restricted")

Want to really learn Linux?
...Install Slackware

--
---Regards, Steve Youngs--------Email:-<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>---
|     If Microsoft is the answer, then all I can say is that     |