Listers,

        Can some of you please recommend a good book on C (C++ ?)
programming.  Specifically wrt the Linux environment.

        I have been programming in various 'other' languages for years but
my experience to C has been little so I need a book that will explain from a
fairly basic level to some in-depth stuff..

        Are there any good references online ?.  My initial searches got a
lot of hits, but to investigate them fully may take the rest of my life....
(any "best sites" would be most welcomed).

        One more thing..  I'm Australian, so they need to be in English and
readily available 'down under'

        Thanks in advance.

        Paul Clyne