Thank-you everyone for your input. I decided to do the KDE
workstation install. From what several people have said, I should
also install the Gnome packages. I'll do that once I get a handle on
what I've got so far. I'm still trying to get some basic things running.

Kppp was giving me a problem, I got it to connect to my ISP and
used Netscape to browse a site. After I had kppp disconnect, I
couldn't log back into the ISP until I quit X and restarted X.  The
modem would dial and connect and then drop the connection with
a "terminating on signal 15". Any ideas on that?

Mike