"ping", not "bing". (And "netscape", not "netscrape" ... though I rather
like that one.)

If you post about this again, please mention which Linux distribution and
version you are using. Without that information, I can only give you generic
advice. To make Opus act as a Masq'ing router, you need to do this:

1. Enable IP forwarding on Opus. This probably is as simple as entering this
line and the command line (and putting it in an appropriate rc script for
reboots):

        cat "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

2. Enable Masquerading on Opus. I'm not familiar with the rc.config file you
describe, but the IP Masquerading HowTo will tell you in some detail how to
do this (At least with 2.0.x kernels -- I haven't checked whether it's been
updated to discuss the "ipchains" system used on 2.2.x kernels). Oh ... even
though I'm not familiar with this rc.config approach, I suspect the entry
MSQ_NETWORKS="192.168.17.42" is wrong -- you're using a host address here,
not a network address (or at least not a typical network address).

3. Tell CW that Opus is its default route (gateway). You do this with a
command like

        route add default -gw 1.2.3.4 metric 1

(except use Opus' actual IP address where I put 1.2.3.4).

4. Make sure both machines know how to resolve DNS requests. This means you
need to add the DNS server IP addresses of your ISP to the file
/etc/resolv.conf on both machines. (Or there are several other ways to
handle this; this one is simplest and well suited to a 2-node LAN.)

I think I've covered all the steps, though I've left out stuff that I assume
you already have right, based on what you say the hosts now can do. If you
try this and still have problems, please post again, with details, both of
your systems and the problems.

Oh ... about using hostnames. Step 4 above will let you use
hostname.domainname for accessing addresses on the Internet. TO do the same
for your LAN, the easiest way is to add both hosts to the file /etc/hosts on
each machine. The form is (use your IP addresses):

        1.2.3.4         opus
        1.2.3.5         CW

At 05:27 PM 1/25/00 +0100, James (Jim) Hatridge wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Ok, I've now got my two 486s talking to each other. I can telnet to each
>and I've got a nfs file system set up. Great!
>
>But, as normal, a new question has came up. I have a 56k modem connecting
>Opus to the Internet. When I'm on CW I would like to connect to the net
>with netscrape, lynx, etc. From what I understand I should use the
>masquerade command to do this. But nothing I do seems to work.
>
>Here is what I have in Opus' rc.config file:
>-----------
>MSQ_START="yes"
>MSQ_NETWORKS="192.168.17.42"
>MSQ_DEV="eth0"
>MSQ_MODULES="ip_masq_cuseeme ip_masq_ftp ip_masq_irc ip_masq_quake
>ip_masq_raudio ip_masq_vdolive"
>--------
>
>Also I can ping between both machines and Opus (one with modem) can bing
>my ISP. But CW can not bing the ISP. Opus has no problems with getting to
>the 'net in anyway. Just CW can't get past Opus. BTW I do not have a
>firewall on Opus, but the software is there. I'm only on the net for about
>30 minutes per day so I don't see why I need it.
>
>BTW can I use an name for bing instand of a number?
>ie ... bing straubing.baynet.de or must I use bing 195.xxx.xxx.x?
Palo Alto, CA                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]