This is something for the gurus...

Ever since I installed Linux, there has been 2 network cards in the
machine. One 3Com 509 and one NE2000 compatible. The latter has never
been used, nor has there been any configurations for it.

Yesterday I took it out and put it into another computer.

The NETWORK STOPPED WORKING!!!

On ping (local network) it was reporting,

"Destination host not reachable."

I assumed that the 3Com card was bust, on the receiver side, since
packets were being sent out, but not received.
I went and bought a new 3Com 509 card. Same problem.

After I while, for an unknown reason (subconscious hunch), I put both
the cards in, configured the 'eth1' as well through linuxconf, and it is
now running again.
A far as I understand, I don't have any routing enabled (gated or routed
is not started).

Why could this be the case??

How do I trace this and similar problems?

Niclas

P.S  Any bouncing from my Mail Forwarder due to the above is sincerely
regretted, and my apologies to everone affected.