On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 03:31:41AM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> > My mouse was detected by Kudzu and "supposedly" configured. But it won't
> > do anything in X.
> >
> > I tried:
> >
> > setserial -g /dev/psaux
> >
> > and rec'd the following error:
> >
> > Cannot get serial info: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >
> > man ioctl
> >
> > is pretty confusing still......
> >
> > Anyone know what's going on here????
> >
> > And does anyone know how to get out of Gnome when you have no mouse???
> >
> > I'm running RH6.1, Microsoft compat. ps/2 and serial using a serial
> > adaptor.
>
> Whoa.  This might be the source of some confusion here.  As I read this
> it looks like what you have is:
> PS/2 mouse -> adaptor -> DB9 serial port
> Is that right?  If so there are two possibilities:
> 1) Treat this mouse as any other serial mouse.
> 2) Remove the adaptor and plug it into the PS/2 port.
>
> The reason the second option is there is this: I've encountered a few
> PS/2 mice that just would *not* work through one of those adaptors.
> But for the moment we'll suppose that this one will work.  In that case,
> first check and see where /dev/mouse is linked to.  It should be linked
> to /dev/ttySx where x indicates which serial port it is.  If the serial
> port that it's plugged into would be COM1 under DOS, then it'll be
> /dev/ttyS0 under Linux.  Basically, take the DOS COM port number and
> subtract one to get the Linux /dev/ttySx x value.   It looked like
> you were trying to access either /dev/mouse (which could well be linked
> to the wrong device) or /dev/psaux (which is the wrong device).  If
> /dev/mouse isn't linked to /dev/ttySx then it needs to be changed.
> 'ls -l /dev/mouse' will tell you this.  If it needs to be changed:
> rm /dev/mouse
> ln -s /dev/ttySx /dev/mouse
> done as root will accomplish the change.  And hopefully that'll get
> things working as they should be, as well.

It would seem that the only people who know about these adaptors are our
American friends, i have never seen one and it would seem Lawson has not
either, now taking that into consideration answering the origanal question the
way i and LAwson did explanes the answers.

Mike, you explaned just about everything, however you did not say which
protocol is used. One would imagen from your explanation that it would be
MicroSoft, this considering we have the mouse device linked to /dev/ttyS0.

So it looks like these little adaptor boxes change the protocol from serial to
ps2, is that correct,?? another thing is that a PS/2 mouse is an auxiliary device
and uses irq 12 when pluged into its own socket on the motherboard.

I cannot realy see the use of such a box, i mean pricewise, surlly it is cheaper
to buy a serial mouse wich cuts out the middle man.!! I have a ps2 mouse here
on one computer and a serial mouse on the other, they both work the same.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]