On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 01:03:47PM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> > So judging by what you say, the other guy needs to do;
> >
> > cd /dev
> > rm mouse
> > ln -s /dev/ttyS0 mouse
> > gpm -t ms
> >

> Actually I am the other guy (I think -- there are two threads on this right now.) But
> anyway I tried this a few days ago when you recommended it. Only it used psaux
>instead
> of ttyS0, which is the slot my eth0 is in.

Uhh ... you've got an ethernet adaptor that plugs into a serial port?  I think
that's the first I've ever heard of that one.

> My serial mouse connection actually doesn't plug into a slot. It has a ribbon
>connector
> that goes into the motherboard (just above the first PCIs). It connects into a 10 pin
> male connector. Looks like the same pins that are used on jumpers.

That's the same as what my setup is.  The UART for the serial port is
built into the motherboard, instead of on a seperate card.

> > Anyway that is meant as an indication that, when it works on one system it
> > should work on another, however that is not always the case.
>
> And that is what is driving me nuts here. It is working on the HP with the same
> settings except for the XF86Config settings: Emulate3Buttons and Emulate3Timeout.
>But I
> can't change these settings because I'm in read-only because of my maintenance
>problem.
>
> So I'll have to wait til I get the mingetty fixed before I attempt this mouse thing
> again.

Have you tried linking /dev/mouse to /dev/ttySx for whatever x is the 9 pin
serial port that the mouse is plugged into?  I still think that's the
problem, or at least part of it.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"