The two standard programs for this purpose are useradd and adduser. I can
never remember which is which (the names aren't all that hard to mix up,
after all),but both work on systems I am familiar with.

So ...

1. Try adduser.

2. Check if you are using a version of "useradd" that doesn't go with your
system. Possibly it assumes regular passwords, while your system uses shadow
passwords.

3. Do it by hand. This is a bit tricky, but the steps are:

        A. Use an editor to add an entry to /etc/passwd . BE VERY CAREFUL in
doing this; if you mess up the file, you can make all logins impossible,
(That's why we have apps like useradd and adduser.) Use an existing entry as
a template for the new one.

        B. Assuming you use shadow passwords, add a similar entry in
/etc/shadow .

        C. Run "passwd" to give the account a password.

        D. Create the account's home directory; e.g.,
                mkdir /home/someuser
                chown someuser /home/someuser
                chgrp somegroup /home/someuser

This is barebones, but it will get a new account working.

4. IF none of these solutions appeals to you, write again, but this time
include enough detail that we have a shot at figuring out what is wrong with
"useradd". At the least, tell us what distribution, version, and kernel
version ("uname -a") of Linux you are using; whether it uses regular or
shadow passwords; and how the failures of useradd manifest themselves (what
message do you get when logging i; what is the entry created in /etc/passwd;
what is the entry created in /etc/shadow?).

At 02:51 PM 3/13/00 -0000, Archana Bharathidasan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would like to know in detail the steps to add a non-priviledged user
account in linux. Useradd doesnt work...it adds the newuser to the passwd
file but I am not able to  login using that name and password. Please help!