It is always a possibility, but it's a low probability. Ethernet cards are
less black-box-like than Winmodems, and they generally have good Linux
support (thanks largely to the dedication of Don Becker, I suppose).

Admittedly, I can't find a reference saying that an HP card with that
designation *is* supported. Nonetheless, I would first try probing with the
several HP modules that you have and seeing if you get lucky. If not ... RH
5.2 is pretty old, and you may need an updated kernel with current drivers
(for example, if Lawson's tulip guess is right, you probably have too old a
tulip driver anyway ... new versions seem to come out weekly, as "the" tulip
chipset proves to be an ever-moving targer).

If you don't get lucky, try lookin on the HP Web site for information.