>         See if "ifconfig -a" reports information on an
>         eth0 interface. If it does, then use ifconfig
>         to set up the card.
>
> Did you try this? If not, why not? This will tell you if the interface is
> present or not, reliably.

I did. It reported nothing about the eth0 interface, the only thing I saw
was the lo interface. So tlan is the wrong choice probably.

> A friend of mine used to say -- "It's not enough to RTFM. After you *read*
> the manual, then you have to *do* what it says." The same thing applies to
> asking questions on a help list.

I forgot to mention it. I tried again with a desperate attempt with all
the .o files in /lib/modules/preferred/net/* and a couple of others gave
me no msg with modprobe, but ifconfig -a showed me nothing :-( Must the
eth0 entry be changed in modules.conf for ifconfig to report it?

A friend suggested using the irq option in modules.conf is it worth a
shot?

Thanks again. This list is really great and this is what is keeping me
from pressing on with linux.

-Karthik.