> Unfortunatly i have never heard of that card, in this instance i would say
> rip the card out of the box and take a note of all the chips on it, that
> way you might just give us the information we need.

That was exactly what I was going to do, when after my last post (about
upgrading to 6.1) I found updated images and instructions on the redhat's
bugzilla site about my problem and its possible solution. I booted with
the updated images and 5.2 upgraded successfully to 6.1!

The bootup of 6.1 is different and it does recognise my ethernet card as
a rtl8139 and gave me an irq etc. It is visible in the /proc/ioports and
/proc/pci but is not on /proc/interrupts. And while shutting down I get
an error saying that it cannot shut the eth0 properly. I am mailing from
home now, I will give actual messages tommorow from the lab, if needed.
Does this sound more hopeful than before? I edited the /etc/modules.conf
to contain eth0->rtl8139 and a modprobe now is successful as ifconfig -a
shows me eth0, again the details are missing here.

Apparently we use DHCP to allocate IP addresses and I was unsure about
how to proceed. Where do I go from here?

Sorry for the long post.

-Karthik.