On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> 1. First the basic one: what Linux are you running? Distribution, version,
> and kernel version.

Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
Kernel 2.2.12-20 on an i586

> 2. What is root's shell? Might it be something different from /bin/bash ?

No that's checked already it's /bin/bash

> 3. What shells are listed in /etc/shells? Might bash have been removed from
> it for some reason?
This is the reading from /etc/shells
/bin/bash
/bin/sh
/bin/tcsh
/bin/csh
/bin/ash
/bin/bsh
As you can see bash IS there!

> 4. Is /home part of the main filesystem or its own partition? If the second,
> what does df report about it? In any case, what are its ownership and
> permissions?
/home is part of the main partition

> 5. Same questions for /bin -- it won't be its own partition (it can't be,
> actually), but what are its ownership and permissions?

This is the reading ...
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 Jun 11 10:52 bin
I even tried giving it "777" permissions ... It didn't change anything.

> 6. Show us root's entry in /etc/passwd and the entry for a user who cannot
> login or be su'd to. (If your system doesn't use shadow passwords, feel free
> to replace the encrypted passwords, but don't change anything else.)

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
user:x:505:520::/home/user:/bin/bash
As I mentioned earlier ... none of the users except the root are able to
login .There's no nologin or .nologin file in the /etc directory either!

> 7. Show us the ownership and permissions for /bin/login and /bin/su
> themselves. For ordinary users, they need to be setuid (mode 4777, not 777)
> to work properly.

The entry of "ls -l login in /bin"
-rwsrwxrwx   1 root     root        20132 Sep  9  1999 login
-rwsrwxrwx   1 root     root        14124 Aug 18  1999 su

> 8. Finally ... are you quoting the error messages EXACTLY as you see them?
> The punctuation looks unusual in what you quote, which raises in my mind the
> concern that you are quoting inexactly or incompletely.

Well ,I think the below are the exact ones...

[root@sun /root]#su - user
su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/user: Permission denied
su: cannot run /bin/bash: Permission denied
[root@sun /root]#su user
su: cannot run /bin/bash: Permission denied

and /home/user exists and has appropriate permissions too!
The other message on login is the same . but I cannot  give it here.
The screen immediately refreshes and logs out even the root!