I had a similar problem after someone hacked in with a vunerable NAMED on a
system used as a firewall.  I was not even able to login as root from the
console.

Verify that /bin/bash (size and date) are exactly as they are on the
original distribution you installed.  Do the same for the login program as
well.

-=>Jim Roland

"Never settle with words what you can settle with a flamethrower."
        --Anonymous