I'm a Linux novice and new to this list -- so, I beg your pardon if this
subject has been previously addressed.

I use RedHat 5.0 on an HP pentium PC in support of 20 Cisco routers and
numerous HP and Catalyst switches.  I basically use it for IOS and
configuration backups (TFTP) and testing (ping, traceroute, etc.).  I would
also like to use it to proactively monitor certain conditions on the Cisco
routers by automatically Telneting to each router and then executing a set
of router commands and redirecting the output to a file (on the Linux
machine).

I know that I can use CRON and .telnetrc to schedule and automate most of
the Telnet process.  But, is there then a way to pass Cisco router commands
to the router by somehow scripting the commands or redirecting them from a
file on the Linux machine?  Is it futile to persue this?  Any assistance is
appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Barrett