Hi all,
        Finally I got a solution for this problem. Searching at
supportforum.sun.com I found that I was not the only victim of this
unwelcome behaviour.
        I found this solution there, saying that an old realplayer 5
plugin "librvplayer.so" in the plugins directory is responsible for it.
After remmoving it and couple of java files that were with it my SO 5.2
is now working fine, though much slower than 5.1

        I hope this will help few other people.

        Santosh

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
        Santosh Vadawale
        TIFR, Mimbai,
        India.