Okay, I've been working on this for many, many hours and I think I'm going nuts.
I'm followind the instructions at:
http://www.linuxhq.com/ldp/howto/CD-Writing-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.1

I'm adding the module on with modprobe, so I'm following this set of
instructions on the page (I also have another ide regular CDRom drive too):

      options ide-cd ignore=hdd     # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdd
      alias scd0 sr_mod          # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
      #pre-install ide-scsi modprobe imm    # uncomment for some ZIPdrivesonly
      pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi      # load ide-scsibefore sg
      pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi   # loadide-scsi before sr_mod
      pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd  # load ide-cd  before ide-scsi

      Listing: Example configuration for /etc/modules.conf

Okay, so I put that in /etc/modules.conf and I also added insmod sg and insmod
ise-scsi to my boot.local (again, using SuSE 6.4, kernel 2.2.14).

When I boot up, it does NOT ignore hdd, still lists it as my CDRW.  I DO get
a message in dmesg saying that 1 scsi was added for ATAPI CDRW support, about
3/4 the way through boot up.  When I try to access scd0, it tells me it's not
there.   I don't have any other scsi devices, so I'm loading scsi support just for
this.
Do Ineed scsi_mod.o?  Any other scsi driver?  Right now just loading sg.o.

I'm very new to all of this but I want very much to get this right.  Any hints
on what I'm doing wrong would be wonderful.  I'm not even sure how I'm supposed
to access the drive once I get it working.

I DID manage to make my image file of debian (something else I was majorly
screwing up), so once I get the drive working, I should be able to burn myself
the  debian copy I need.

Thanks for any insight!
-Martha Jo