Fired up the other computer while ago, part way through boot it complained
about the file system, advising me to log in as root and run fsck manually.

Ran fsck -A, let it fix the errors (which were numerous, involving inodes
and bad block counts).  The error messages are long gone, so I can't quote.

fsck completed, I ran it again and it reported that the file system was clean.

Rebooted, now I can't log in.  After entering 'root' at the login prompt,
the message "/root/login: error in loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" flashes on the
screen (very breifly) before the screen clears and the login prompt returns.

(some of the files 'fixed' by fsck were library files.)

That was a few minutes ago.  Now this is on the screen:

hda: lost interrupt
hda: read_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
hda: status error: status=0x00 {}
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x00 {}
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x00 {}
hda: drive not ready for command
hda: status error: status=0x00 {}
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: success

Any way I can log in?  Time to re-install?

Looks like a hardware problem too. Thoughts?

--
Regards,
Jim Reimer - WA5RRH