I am trying to set up a dial-up ppp following chapter 15 of "Running Linux"
by Welsh, Dalheimer & Kaufman

I am using a US Robotics non-win modem which has installed itself in COM3.
Accordingly, as root I entered:
   ln -sf /dev/ttyS3 /dev/modem

I do not hear dialtone, nor the prompt ("Up and running) I added to
/etc/ppp/ip-up

I edited /etc/syslog.conf to create a chat-log and got the following
entries:
   pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
   tcgetattr: input/output error(5)
   Exit.

The modem works fine under Windows both to MSN and a university server

When I run ifconfig, I get the verbage about a local connection, but nothing
about ppp0

Any help would be appreciated

David