Personally over here I run redhat, SuSE,slackware,and debian and also
freebsd and I've come to appreciate that for a newbie I would recommend
SuSE simply because of the support available on their site for anyone with
problems and they you can even give them a phone call. the installation is
realy simple.
Plus I recommend that if you are to choose get one that is similar in
terms of amount of packages offered I mean it comes with 6 CDs worth of
packages saving one a lot of time spent in searching the net for
additional packages you may need.
Otherwise they are all basically the same except for file locations etc.
I also happen to like redhat a lot because of its simplicity especially
the use of the linuxconf tool though sometimes it does unexpected things.
If you want system though where you have total control then slackware is
for you though you'll miss out on rpm.
As for debian what I like about it is those .deb packages they make life
so much simpler.

 Noah