* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [000804 15:16]:
> How odd.  I have never heard of a modem so dumb it had to be told to
> pick up the phone before trying to dial.  I guess it takes all kinds.

Guess what? I was wrong about the modem not going off-hook.
The problem was my modem would remember a previous 'NO CARRIER' so
subsequent attempts to go online would fail. ** If I turned the modem off,
and then on again, no problem; the first call of the day (if I shutdown
the night before, no problem. **

Solution: I removed the    ABORT 'NO CARRIER'    from my dial-up script!

I tried checking to see if geocrawler had another, more appropriate list,
and sure enough linux-ppp had a few hits about this problem. I've listed
one below if anyone's interested  :-)

So here's my ppp-on script:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/pppd modem lock crtscts debug defaultroute \
asyncmap 0 user <login> \
connect /usr/local/bin/dial /dev/modem 115200

And here's my dial-up script:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/chat -v ABORT BUSY '' ATZ OK ATDT<ispphonenumber> CONNECT

Thanks all, for your help, and I hope this might help someone out there!
(now if I can get my ISP to respond to PAP authenticate-requests... ???
I guess it's just busy...  ???)

---------------------from geocrawler archives linux-ppp-----------

--
det spelar ingen roll