On Sun, 13 Aug 2000,  Charles E. Gelm wrote about,  Re: ethernet not working (part
2aa):
> CMOS setup IRQ 10 is set to 'Legacy/ISA'.

> Slackware 7.0 install, kernel 2.2.13.
> NIC=Macromate MN220PTC in NE2000 mode, io=0x2a0, irq=10, ISA
> Kernel make config: http://gelm.net/config.txt
>
>  I don't know where to start.
> My ne2000 clone NIC is, now, 'compiled into the kernel'

No your support is compiled as a module, at least thats what is defined in
the url config file.

> I think I need to tell the kernel what port it is using (0x2a0).
>
>  What HOWTO do I read to figure out how to get my
> kernel to recognize my NIC ?

For what it is worth, take a look at;

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/kernel.htm

I use NE2000 cards of both ISA and PCI no problem at all.

> OBTW,
>  find / -name *.o
> returns matches to only dummy.o in 4 places.
> There are no other .o files anywhere in this computer.
> Why, during bootup, do I see several
>  modprobe ...
>  can't locate module nls_*whatever
> ?
> I answered 'y' to only one codepage (437).

Once again NO you did not, you said "module".

> Are these responses saved to a file?
>
> I notice that, upon boot, that nfsd is started. Why?
> Why does not nfs.o exist (or whatever.o) ?

If nfs.o is not in /lib/modules/{version-number} then you did not do
make modules
make modules_install
PERIOD.

--