On Mon, 07 Aug 2000,  Chuck Gelm wrote about,  Re: ethernet not working:
> Hi, Richard:

Hi Chuck.

> Thanks for those tips. :-)

No problem.

> Those two defines: CONFIG_MODVERSIONS & CONFIG_FILTER were not in
> my *HOWTO* and may be new to kernel 2.2.x. :-|

The modversions, as far as i know was included in 2.0.xx kernels, but i cant
quite be 100% sure.

The config packet has become an important issue in 2.2.xx kernels
espesialy with as i said DHCP and AX25 stuff.

> http://gelm.org/linuxcfg.doc

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!, linuxcfg.doc and would you belive it;""
pa3gcu:~$ file linuxcfg.doc
linuxcfg.doc: Microsoft Word 6.0 Document

Tut Tut........... Need i say more.!

> is my HOWTO-IPMASQ for kernel 2.0.34 to 2.0.39.
> 2.0.3x is the only kernel that I have used successfully.
> I've tried several Red Hat distros, one Debian and one Mandrake.
> I get better results from a Slackware install, but probably
> because I've done it so many times. :-| ;-)

I do not belive its a question of which install one uses, commands are
pretty much the same, there are many changes in every new distribution
kernel, the changes from 2.0.x to 2.2.x were enormous, and the changes we
will see soon to 2.3/4 are even more enormous.

> How do you other 'newbies' feel about the 'make config'?
> I'm baffled by well over 50% of the defines, even after
> reading the text generated by answering '?' ! :-|

Well i cant speak as a newbie, however i can speak of "when" i was a newbie,
i was told many times to RTFM, well i did, but i still did not get the
point untill someone gave me an example of the command i needed or option i
needed, i since have learned to read documents with some imagenation, read
alternative documents, then make up your own mind by experimenting, you
will not break your computer or your hardware by compiling a kernel which
does not work, i do however recomend that you read, "The simpletons guide
to making ones own kernel" on my home page,
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/kernel.htm
remember i too was a simpleton once, as a matter of fact i still am at our
local club somethines or so it seems when the professor's arrive. ;-).

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]