From: Tim Small [mailto:t...@seoss.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:10 AM
To: Boyd, Patrick
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Lifecycle Controller not-so slick IMO.

patrick_b...@dell.com wrote:
> By Console Redirection we mean serial port console redirection. The interface
> works fine over the iDRAC virtual KVM. This was decided since the Lifecycle
> Controller uses a graphical interface.

I take it from this that it's can't be automated - that really seems to
be a short-sighted design decision - the majority of shops who have more
than a handful of servers will want to automate this sort of stuff -
that and the fact that it's a paid-for extra means that there is very
little value-add for all the development effort that must have been
carried out...

The real answer has to be proper publishing of specs for firmware update
interfaces - Dell RBU is an excellent example of doing things the right
way, but without being able to update hard disk and BMC firmware easily
from within Linux, it looks like wasted effort.

And when I say Linux I mean any kernel or distribution, not just
whatever enterprise vendors Dell happens to currently have their wagons
hitched to.

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.