On Fri, January 29, 2010 12:10, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:17:21AM +0000, Stroller wrote:
>> Since this is a concern, where does Dell stand upon source releases?
>
> Dell uses and contributes to open source software in a lot of ways -
> including using the SBLIM and openwsman stack on Linux for future systems
> management projects.  The iDRAC itself is running Linux (yes, source code
> is available, minus any non-open-source components of course).  But there
> are also components which are not open source licensed, for a variety of
> reasons (strategic choice, license by the authors if not Dell, ...).
> Over time we have made more and more of our systems management software
> either open source or at least more Linux-friendly, and I expect that
> trend to continue.

The overall hardware segment support for Linux is quite spotty, and IMHO
Dell is one of the brighter spots.  In addition to their active Linux
support for their server and laptop product lines, they also contribute,
for instance, Matt.  Who pretty much wrote DKMS, contributes to
maintenance of a number of kernel modules, and sits on the Fedora Projects
board.  He's wired in pretty high at Dell these days, and I trust what he
says here.