On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:00:57PM -0700, Stephen Dowdy wrote:
> patrick_fisc...@dell.com wrote, On 02/26/2010 03:28 AM:
> So, it would be super-mega-awesome if Dell provided said Matrix
> in a queryable format.  I.e. i'd like to be able to probe, say:
>
> http://awesome.dell.com/pe2950/bios?fmt=csv&info=history
>
> to get a history listing of all pe2950 BIOS updates including their
> criticality status.  yeah, i'll keep dreaming...
> But even a static (but maintained) table like the one proposed
> at the "Enterprise BIOS and Firmware Matrix" page would be really
> awesome (if i could easily programmatically parse it and rely
> on its data being accurate and timely)

For PowerEdge, you could parse the XML Catalog, which is what
Repository Manager, DMC, and other 3rd party commercial update tools
use.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/catalog/Catalog.xml.gz
ftp://ftp.dell.com/catalog/Catalog.xml.gz.sign

This does not include history, but it does include the current release
block's set of files.  This file is updated as part of the "block
release process", when a whole set of tested updates are published at
once.

The next obvious question is - where can I find the schema for this
XML?  I believe this is available as part of Dell's PartnerDirect
program: http://dell.com/partnerdirect/.  You may be able to tease the
bits you want out of the XML directly without having the full schema
though.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO