Jefferson Ogata wrote:
> I meant the other way around. If the two backup systems are "fried" but
> you can get their disks running on alternate "non-fried" systems, you
> can recover your data from those.

gotcha.   well the one machine was not a raid,  and one drive is toast,
doesn't even spin.

The other one (the backup tape server)  has no files, they are on
tape,   but  the tape drive/controller is not working. (looking into
getting another one)

>> question:  since  I have a broken filesystem,  does it even make sense
>> to make a disk image of it?  or do you mean just for backup? (that if I
>> break it, I still have the broken stuff I started with?)
>>

> Yes, it does make sense, and for the reason you surmise.
>
> Ideally you would get a disk image onto another system as an LV, take a
> snapshot of that, and then work with the snapshot. Then if things go
> awry, you just drop the snapshot and make a new one.
>
> If you're lucky, what's happened is that the /etc directory file has
> been damaged but that all of the objects it linked to are intact. fsck
> will reparent these objects under /lost+found if so.

that makes sense.  There are a bunch of  startup files in /etc that seem
to be damaged.
I noticed that browsing through /etc

> But there may be other damage as well.
>
> But even if you can't recover /etc, you may well be able to recover the
> data you're really interested in.
>
> And even if files have been orphaned and fsck doesn't reattach them
> under /lost+found you may be able to recover them using debugfs.

main(p){printf(p,34,p="main(p){printf(p,34,p=%c%s%c,34); }",34); }
Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                  | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
        Technology Coordinator    |

Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: r...@depauw.edu
DePauw University                 |
275 Julian Science & Math Center  |