From: linux-poweredge-boun...@dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-boun...@dell.com] On Behalf Of Drew Weaver
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 3:54 PM
To: linux-poweredge@dell.com
Subject: R310 BMC woes

Hi,

We ordered several R310s without DRAC cards because they are supposed to be
inexpensive systems, and adding $300 to each server's cost adds an additional
25% to the total price. My main concern is the way that the BMC/IPMI interface
works. It seems totally insane to me that there is no way to just assign one of
the LOM nics to be the BMC/IPMI interface. Is there a technical reason why this
isn't possible, or is it just something Dell did to sell more DRACs?

We have no need for more than 1 NIC in our servers, and since all 11th Gen
poweredge servers come with 2 NICs, it seemed like a total no brainer to just
use 1 NIC for the network and 1 NIC for the IPMI/BMC. That way they could be
cabled to two completely different networks.

We don't want the management NIC or traffic to be visible to the operating
system for security reasons.

thanks,

I hate replying to my own messages but I was nudged in the direction to learn
that if you disable the LOM in the BIOS settings that the NICs won't show up in
the OS but they will still work for management/IPMI.

The problem becomes then that you cannot only disable a single LOM, you must
enable both or none.

Does anyone know if this is a limitation of the hardware or an oversight by
whoever does the BIOS?

thanks,
-Drew