Hi,

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 20:15:15 +0100, Luca Berra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 01:24:39PM -0500, Jorj Bauer wrote:
>> useful. On a busy mail machine, it's difficult to get a static backup of
>> the contents of /var/spool/mail. If the raid tools supported the ability
>> to add and remove mirrors on the fly, one could have a redundant (third)
>> mirror which is detached nightly, mounted as a standalone filesystem
>> elsewhere, backed up, unmounted, and reattached to the /var/spool/mail
>> mirror.

> this should be a work for a journaled filesystem, where you can
> freeze the log, backup, unfreeze like vxfs (Veritas) does

A lfs does make this easier, yes, but there are other ways to do it.  In
particular, you can achieve the same effect at the block device level if
you want to.

> i theink someone was writing a jfs for linux called dtfs

No, dtfs is a logging filesystem (lfs), not a journaled filesystem.  I'm
writing a journaling extension to ext2, but it's very different from a
lfs: journaling just implies a transactional log of metadata updates,
whereas a lfs stores the entire filesystem state, including all data, in
a sequential virtual log.

--Stephen