On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Dan Bethe wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Louis Mandelstam wrote:
> > Anyone else running swapspace over RAID1?
> >
> > The reason why I'd like to do this in the first place, is that the box
> > involved needs serious uptime/HA, and I don't want to go to all the
> > trouble of RAIDing the system and data disks, just so a physical disk
> > failure hosting swap space can crash the box.
>
>       How about just making two separate swap devices (i.e. partitions)
> on each physical disk, and letting the kernel stripe it for you?  It just
> automatically does that across multiple swap devices.
>       Good idea, keep up the good work :)

I think you missed the part where he said that he wanted RAID level 1
(mirroring, not striping) protection so that his system wouldn't crash due
to a disk failure (of a disk containing swap space).

I'm pretty sure, though, that it's documented somewhere that swapping on a
MD RAID'd partition won't work due to potential deadlock allocating memory...

-Andy

Global Auctions
http://www.globalauctions.com