On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Louis Mandelstam wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Andy Poling wrote:
> > I think you missed the part where he said that he wanted RAID level 1
> > (mirroring, not striping) protection so that his system wouldn't crash due
> > to a disk failure (of a disk containing swap space).
> >
> > I'm pretty sure, though, that it's documented somewhere that swapping on a
> > MD RAID'd partition won't work due to potential deadlock allocating memory...
>
> So swapping to a file living in a RAIDed filesystem won't offer a
> workaround?

I just seem to remember reading that a good while back.  It's entirely
possible that it's been addressed since, and I missed the announcement.

-Andy

PS - This is one of the advantages of hardware RAID.  I use swap partitions
_and_ files on my hardware-raided boot partition... and I needn't worry about
deadlocks.

Global Auctions
http://www.globalauctions.com