On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Dave J. Andruczyk wrote:

> Other than the above minor glitches, it works beautifully.  the only major
> downfall is that the RAID management software only runs under DOS, and the
> linux version isn't ready yet.

  Anyone else heard anything about the DPT Storage Manager for Linux?

  I've heard the SCO version may work under emulation?

  I understand that DPT has put the Storage Manager into flash for the
latest firmware versions.  You still need to re-boot to access it (via the
ALT-D interfaces), but you don't have to boot dos.  You'll have to boot
dos to upgrade the firmware on your adapter though!

> ICP-vortex has a native Linux based management tool for its RAID cards,
> and many people have reported they are faster than the DPT variant, due to
> a better processor.

  Interesting.  Be aware that DPT cards have a variety of processors
available.  The 2144 that you are using is one of the slower ones.  The
3334 is the fastest.  I'm sure that ICP-vortex cards are the same:  same
are slower and some are faster.

> Dave

Tom