I think we're talking cross purposes!

I was trying to say that if lilo could do RAID( 1 ) then you could have a
5(say) way mirror for the 10meg /boot partition... then lilo would be on
all the disks... then you could use all 5 disks in a raid5 for /

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, m. allan noah wrote:

> what you mention is not possible for the reasons i outlined on non-raid1.
>
> under raid 5- the /boot directory inside the root partition does not exist
> on everydisk. it is striped across multiple disks with a parity stripe on
> one. lilo would have to pull blocks from different disks, and if one was
> missing, it would have to use the parity stripe to re-generate the missing
> data. to difficult, and prone to one major failure: suppose the mbr on all
> disks points to the map file using CHS addresses. this means that all
> disks that lilo needs must be accessable by the bios. (inside 1024 disk
> limit, on first two disks) the first chs address for the start of the map
> is on disk one, disk one dies. lilo never loads anything, cause it never
> starts.
>
> you must get the kernel into ram another way. i use floppies or 20meg
> /boot partitions on each disk, with a multi- lilo setup.
>
> al
>
> "so don't tell us it can't be done, putting down what you don't know.
> money isn't our god, integrity will free our souls" - Max Cavalera
>
> On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, A James Lewis wrote:
>

> > Lilo being raid1 capable would be cool, it would be simple enough to have
> > a 10 meg mirror to have /boot on.... then / could be mounted from a raid5
> > or somthing... might even be cool to have the mirror across each disk in
> > the raid5 then you could guarantee it would find one and boot no matter
> > which disk had died!  Mirroring the physical device (Rather than
> > partition) might also allow the lilo information to be mirrored
> > better....)  but then if lilo were raid1 aware then this should not be a
> > problem... it should write a book block to all appropriate devices!
> >
> > What's the likleyhood of this happening?  I guess one could stop the
> > mirror and run lilo against one of the devices... but that's less than
> > ideal to say the least!
> >
> > Also, I have not had a chance to test over multiple disks... but my
> > tests have demonstrated some good stability overall... I would love to
> > know when this will be concidered stable enough for merging with 2.3 or
> > even 2.2???   One thing I have noticed is that there are a few ways to
> > crash the raid code... try to init a mirror with only one disk... the
> > kernel daemon crashes and estimates an infinite amount of time to
> > reconstruct... you cannot then raidstop or sync or reboot!...  This can
> > also be achieved (somtimes) by modifying a partition table on a disk that
> > has raid active on it.... even if you don't touch the raid paritions....
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't have the skills to help debug this, but it's the
> > only problem I can identify....
> >
> > On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, m. allan noah wrote:
> >
> > > ok- the main point with booting is thus- with the new raid code, you can
> > > start raid from the kernel without any utils on the disk. meaning, all you
> > > have to do is get the kernel into ram, and jump to its starting address.
> > >
> > > this is what lilo is for, along with loadlin, etc.
> [...]

James ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Vortex Internet
My operating system unders~1 long filena~1, and yours?