Perhaps you can help me:

I am trying to setup a raid1 diskset with the mdutils.

The kernel supports md and the raid1 module is loaded.

What I did so far:

I tried to edit the mdtab file from scratch (according the online help from
mdtab) with vi:

The entries look like this:

more /etc/mdtab.conf
/dev/md0        RAID1,4k,1      /dev/hda2       /dev/hdb2

I also tried to create the mdtab with mdcreate. The file created looks like
this:
/dev/md0        raid1,8k,1,dada193c     /dev/hda2 /dev/hdb2

Whey I try to run mkraid like: /sbin/mkraid /etc/mdtab I get the following
error-message:

root@r26:/etc > mkraid /etc/mdtab
mkraid version 0.36.4
parsing configuration file
detected error on line 2:
        /dev/md0        raid1,8k,1,dada193c     /dev/hda2 /dev/hdb2
mkraid: aborted

or with the self-made file:

root@r26:/etc > mkraid /etc/mdtab.conf
mkraid version 0.36.4
parsing configuration file
detected error on line 1:
        /dev/md0        RAID1,4k,1      /dev/hda2       /dev/hdb2
mkraid: aborted

Then I tried to run /sbin/mdadd -a which worked fine.

I also looked on the mstat-file which looks like this:
root@r26:/etc > more /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [1 linear] [2 raid0] [3 raid1]
read_ahead not set
md0 : inactive hda2 hdb2 410728 blocks
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive

So please can you tell me what is going wrong with mkraid?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Fritz Spitzer
Systemintegration und Anwendungen