On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Erich J. Ritzmann wrote:

> I have 'blindly' subscribed to this list as I have an immediate need to
> deploy a RAID1 system.  I say blindly as I do not know where to find the
> main linux-raid web site or FAQ.

Try http://linas.org/linux/raid.html.  You can find the latest RAID
software at ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/.

> Neither, have I found the md tools on my Red Hat 5.2 distribution CD.
> This surprised me because the kernel code supporting raid seems to have
> been in place for quite some time.

RH5.2 does include the RAID software, but most on the list were
disappointed that they used obsolete code.  You probably will want to
create a kernel using the patches from the RAID ftp site.  The latest
alpha patches and tools are usually quite good, though sometimes the
patches need tweaking and the documentation lags behind the code.  Much of
the traffic on this list addresses these problems.

> I am inclined not to put the root filesystem on the raid drives; it
> seems more trouble than it's worth.  Instead keep root to its minimal
> size and mount all other filesystems (/usr, /home, /var, /tmp) on the
> RAID1.  The rest of root is rarely written to except to update the
> kernel, or to tweak the config in /etc.  Maybe /etc should get a
> filesystem as well?  The kernel goes onto the floppy, and the rest is
> easily recoverable from the installation CD.

There is a ROOT-RAID HOWTO, but your approach is pretty common, I think.
I use a non-RAID root filesystem on a hard disk, with /usr and /home in
RAID5 and /var in RAID0.  With only two disks, RAID4/5 isn't really an
option for you (3 device minimum).

Geof

DISCLAIMER:  The comments above are my own and may not represent the views
             of my employer.
:         Geof Goodrum          :         US Department of Commerce         :
:       +1-301-457-5100         : NOAA/NESDIS National Climatic Data Center :
:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  :         Satellite Services Branch         :