hi ya osma

> > for larger systems/clusters:
> > what about the linux High Availability project ?
> > and/or the beowolf project ?
>
> No Linux project I know of can yet provide generic failsafe clustering.

am thinking...( outloud )

we can get dual hosted disk controllers...
we can get dual CPU motherboards...
we can get redundant power supplies...
we can get removable disk drives...

all we need is to "put all that into a generic linux box"... :-)

the above would have two sets of "mirrored raid-5 arrays" and accessed
by either dual cpu system with dual host scsi cards to get to the other one..

problem is linux does NOT support "multi-homed" servers...
if home1 is down...it doesn't automatically go to home2...
so put a sun/sgi on top of the linux boxes to support that function ??

> > > If you're referring to boot possibilities when the first drive goes
> > > down, it is somewhat of an unsolved issue with software RAID, since
> > > LILO knows nothing about RAID configurations, and the BIOS even less.
> > you can use a root-raid drive to solve that ?? ( sorta ? )
> > if one disk goes down, you can still boot before resorting to floppy
>
> Software RAID can not solve it because the software isn't running at
> the time the boot sector needs to be accessed. Hardware RAID does, as
> long as it has a BIOS driver.

am thinking...replace the "function" of what lilo does and make it
look to one of several disks for the bootup sequences which would
be on /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, or /dev/sdc etc...
        ( thinking sorta that the boot records are just pointers
        ( of where to go next to find more initializations sequences...

have fun
alvin