> As a side note, does anyone know why the hell RedHat put alpha patches in
> their production release?  Out of curiosity, did they ask anyone on this

The alpha patches are better - more reliable , less buggy and have more
features than
the standard raid included with the stock linux kernel in most peoples opinion.
This
is from my own experience and from reading the opinion in the rest of this
mailing
list.
Presumably 2.2.5 was the latest kernel available at the time Redhat was making
their
release and they patched the 2.2.3 alpha patch to install it in the 2.2.5
kernel. Despite
the stability and reliability of the raid patches it seems a little dodgy to
release some
homegrown alpha-alpha patch on top of an alpha release. Maybe its not as risky
as
it seems but no matter how good a kernel hacker you are you cannot hope to see
all
possible interactions which a change to the code makes. I wonder how much
testing
they could possibly have done on this system before they released it?

Brian Murphy