Gang,                   *** Please reply to my e-mail address and not the list ***

I'm building a dual disk RAID-1 on Linux 2.0.36.  It ain't workin'.  So . . . .

What the heck is this:

---

Boot messages:

Starting up RAID devices.
Cannot determine md version: operation not supported by device.

*** An error occurred during the RAID startup.
*** Dropping you to a shell;  The system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.

---

dmesg feedback:

autodetected RAID arrays
could not import sda5
could not import sdb5
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.

---

I get these when I reboot.  It then drops me into single user mode.  We
configured the kernel to support "autodetect of RAID" and "RAID-1".  I
built the latest RAID tools (raidtools-19990421-0.90) and applied the
latest patches to the kernel (raid0145-19990421-2.0.36).  I then used fdisk
to change the partition id's of the partitions I want to mirror (sda5 and
sdb5) to "fd" as per the install instructions.  However, fdisk sees this as an
unknown partition type.  Finally I ran "mkraid --really-force /dev/md5"
and rebooted to get the errors above.  So . . . what gives???

Oh, the /etc/raidtab is setup as it states in the HOWTO.  The mirror even seems active.

Thanks and have a great day!  :-)

Paul
---
Paul B. Brown