What are the steps to replacing a failed drive in RAID 5.

My setup is:
Kernel 2.0.36
raidtools-19990128-0.90
12 4.3G Drives
1 NCR 553c8xx

The kernel decided to kick my first drive out of the RAID.  Upon reboot it would
determine the drive was out of sync and would kick it again.  Just for safety I have
replaced the drive.  When I do a raidstart, it complains about a bad superblock on the
first drive (the one I replaced) and fails to start the raid.  If I removed the drive
from my raidtab, the raid starts fine.  My question is, what is the command to rebuild
my first drive? Or is this supposed to be automatic?

Karl Hague