On lun, sep 27, 1999 at 09:00:28 -0400, Brandon wrote:

> Is there any code that will allow SCSI drives to spin down after X amount
> of unused time?  I have 3 different RAID 0 arrays (7 3 and 4 drives) that
> are in my server system.  The data on them is not often updated and is
> backed up whenever it is.. (Which is why I chose level 0. I realize the
> problems I'm gonna have if one drive goes down.)  But one of the drive
> arrays is rarely used (like less than once a week for about 5 hours total).
>  However, the drives are constantly on & spinning - generating heat and
> shortening their life span.
>
> Is there anything that will allow me to spin these drives down after, say,
> 2 hours of unused time and then will cleanly spin them back up when they
> are accessed?

As someone said, scsi-idle will do the job, that's what I use at home.
You can find the updated version of the patch here:
http://www-sop.inria.fr/prisme/personnel/pion/progs/linux/

The only little problem is that in raid five, it takes 15sec or more for all
the disks to spin up, because they have to spin up one per one, as the
kernel makes a request to them.

For that reason, I have written the following (dirty) alias:
alias wakeup='RANDOM=`date "+%s"`; for i in sdb sdc sdd sde sdf; do dd if=/dev/$i
of=/dev/null count=1 skip=`expr $RANDOM \* 100` & done'

(You need to read  a random block each time, otherwise  it gets fetched from
the buffer cache)

Marc

Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP key and other contact information