On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Pat Heath wrote:

        Hi,

> I was working on doing the autostart for raid0 and the part where it says:
>

>  3. The partition-types of the devices used in the RAID must be set to
>      0xFD  (use fdisk and set the type to ``fd'')
>
> is confusing because I don't have a choice of fd for partition type. If I
> put it in it lets me do it but labels it unknown.  Is this correct or am I
> doing something wrong?

        This is right, just press t, then partition number, then fd.

        You must have all raid support stopped while doing this!

> Here is my dmesg. Any ideas as to why it bombs on startup? If I raidstart
> manually everything works fine?

        hmmm... it seems you're booting with a RH 6.0 stock kernel. which
raid version are you using? stock RH or self built? If the former, make
sure you did reinstall LILO to include the new version.

All the support to let the kernel autodetect the raid partitions must be
available at boot, *before* the kernel mounts root. So, you must either
compile all needed SCSI and raid support into the kernel, or use a initrd
image which includes all needed support.

        AFAIK, stock RH 6.0 support this. Did you mkraid'ed with the
persistent superblock enabled?

        If you use the autostart feature, make sure that you disable the
old raidstart/stop invocations from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and
/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt.

        What seems *really odd* to me of your dmesg is:

-------
sdX: unknown partition table
------

        That "unknown partition table" doesn't appear although you've set
some partition to fd, if that's what you wondered. Make sure you
partitioned, or tagged fd the partitions with all raid system stopped and
disabled. If in doubt, repeat the process closely to what the HOWTO says.
It seems you have some sort of problem with the partition table...

        Good luck,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org